A red blood cell count is a blood test that your doctor uses to find out how many red blood cells (RBCs) you have. It’s also known as an erythrocyte count.
The test is important because RBCs contain hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to your body’s tissues. The number of RBCs you have can affect how much oxygen your tissues receive. Your tissues need oxygen to function.
- The blood sample is taken in EDTA.
- It is stable for 24 hours at 23 °C and 48 hours at 4°C
- RBCs counting solution is Hayem’s or Gowers isotonic saline.
- Make a dilution of 1:200 with a diluting solution. Fill the red bulb pipette up to 0.5 marks.
- Draw the solution to the mark 101 of RBC pipette.
- Mix the blood thoroughly in the pipette.
- Discard first few drops (4 to 5 0 and then fill the Neubauer chamber.
- Make sure that chamber is free of air bubbles.
- Distribution of the cells should be uniform over the ruled area.
- Allow for 2 minutes to settle the cells.
- Now coun RBCs in the Neubauer chamber.
- Use 40 X to count the RBCs.
- For RBCs use the center square which has 25 smaller squares.
- Count the corner 4 squares and one central square.
- Count only the RBCs which falls on the left and top border of these squares.
- Repeat the count twice and divide by 2 to get the average.
Formula for RBCs count is:
Multiply factor = 10 x 200 / 0.2 = 10,000
Multiply RBCs count with 10,000 = RBCs million/cmm.
|RBC||4.5 – 6.5 x 1012 /l||4.5 – 6.5 x 1012 /l|
Complete Blood Count Test Panel:
- Red blood cells.
- White blood cells.
- Platelet Count
- Hematocrit (HCT)
- RBC indices.
- White cell differential count (DLC) includes.
- Peripheral blood smear study.
- One of the ways I protect paraffin slides is to dip in hot paraffin and […]
- Unstained paraffin sections offer very low contrast and therefore cannot be evaluated microscopically in routine […]
- The objective of this step is to cut 4–5 Mm-thick sections from paraffin blocks. This […]
- Once tissue samples are infiltrated by paraffin, they are removed from the cassettes and carefully […]
- After fixation, tissue samples need to be properly trimmed to reach the adequate size and […]
- A Amylase is secreted by the pancreas into the duodenum where it aids the catabolism […]
- Urine culture results should be interpreted in conjunction with clinical symptoms of urinary tract infection […]
- A urine culture is a test that can detect bacteria in your urine. This test […]