A white blood cell (WBC) count is a test that measures the number of white blood cells in your body. This test is often included with a complete blood count (CBC). The term “white blood cell count” is also used more generally to refer to the number of white blood cells in your body.
There are several types of white blood cells, and your blood usually contains a percentage of each type. Sometimes, however, your white blood cell count can fall or rise out of the healthy range.
Total WBC Count Test Procedure:
- Patient Sample (EDTA)
- Test Tubes
- Neubauer Counting Chamber
- Cover Glasses (Cover Slips)
- Hand counter
- Turk’s Solution
- Take 0.38 ml of Turk’s Colution and 20ul of Blood in a test tube.
- Mix the blood and Turk’s Solution by shaking with thumb and finger over the end.
- Fill The Neubauer Chamber by Micropipette.
- Place the counting chamber on the microscope stage and allow 2-3 min. for the cells to settle.
- Count the number of white cells in four large corner squares marked “W”.
- Cells which are touching the left-hand lines or upper lines of the square are included in the count, while cells touching the lower and right margins are excluded.
- After The Countion celles then calculate the total wbc count for this formula
Total WBC Count = Total Cells(4 squares) x 50
|WBC (TLC)||4.0 – 11.0 x 109 /l||4.0 – 11.0 x 109 /l|
- T-SPOT.TB is a type of interferon-gamma release assays (IGRA) used for latent and active tuberculosis […]
- Dengue is an infectious disease caused by ‘dengue virus’ (DENV) which is a RNA virus […]
- This test is used for the detection of fibrin/fibrinogen degradation products in patients suspected of […]
- This test is used as one of the tests to diagnose Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), […]
- A pregnancy test is used to confirm that woman is pregnant or not. Markers used […]
- Basically syphilis is a bacterial infection frequently transmitted by sexually intercourse. The disease begin as […]
- VDRL is a non treponemal micro flocculation test which is used for the screening of […]
- Examination of thin blood films is much valuable for the analysis and management of anaemia, […]