Spot urine sample are used for urinalysis, which can detect and diagnose metabolic disorders and urinary tract infections. Your doctor may order a urinalysis to determine, for example, the cause of bloody urine, abdominal pain, or burning sensations associated with urination.
Urine is a type of sample that can be easily collected from a patient. Urinalysis tests can give your doctor valuable information about many body systems, especially kidney function. The doctor uses the information from urine tests to diagnose and treat many disease states.
What is the spot urine sample?
Sample to be collected at any time during the day. It is usually used only for routine tests because the composition of urine changes throughout the day.
- collect your urine sample in a completely clean (sterile) container
- store it in a fridge in a sealed plastic bag if you can’t hand it in straight away
To collect a urine sample you should:
- label a sterile, screw-top container with your name, date of birth and the date
- wash your hands
- start to urine and collect a sample of urine “mid-stream” in the container
- screw the lid of the container shut
- wash your hands thoroughly
Types of urine Sample
- Random specimens: As the name implies, random specimens can be collected at any time.
- First morning specimen (also known as an eight-hour specimen). The urine is generally more concentrated in this type of specimen because it has been in the bladder for an extended period of time. This may enhance the detection of cellular elements and protein, if present.
- Midstream clean-catch specimens: The patient is instructed to clean the labial area or tip of the penis with an antiseptic wipe. The patient should then begin voiding into the toilet, collect the midstream portion into the sterile container, and then finish voiding into the toilet. This type of collection is necessary when a urine culture is ordered.
- Timed Collection Specimen Among the most commonly performed tests requiring timed specimens are those measuring creatinine, urine urea nitrogen, glucose, sodium, potassium, or analytes such as catecholamines and 17-hydroxysteroids that are affected by diurnal variations.
timed specimen is collected to measure the concentration of these substances in urine over a specified length of time, usually 8 or 24 hours.
- 24-hours Urine Sample: A 24-hour urine collection is a simple lab test that measures what’s in your urine. The test is used to check kidney function. A 24-hour urine collection is done by collecting your urine in a special container over a full 24-hour period. The container must be kept cool until the urine is returned to the lab. Read more
Storing a urine sample and Transport Guidelines
If you can’t hand your urine sample in within 1 hour, you should put the container in a sealed plastic bag then store it in the fridge at around 4C. Do not keep it for longer than 24 hours.
The bacteria in the urine sample can multiply if it is not kept in a fridge. If this happens, it could affect the test results.
- All urine collection and/or transport containers should be clean and free of particles or interfering substances.
- The collection and/or transport container should have a secure lid and be leak-resistent. Leak-resistent containers reduce specimen loss and healthcare worker exposure to the specimen while also protecting the specimen from contaminants.
- It is good practice to use containers that are made of break-resistant plastic, which is safer than glass.
- The container material should not leach interfering substances into the specimen.
- Specimen containers should not be reused.
- Enjoy Sab Se Bari Offer for the Whole week. Internet, 40 GB. Ufone & PTCL […]
- Rubina is a English originated Muslim Girl Name. Rubina name meaning is Blessed With Love, […]
- Zaira is a Arabic originated Muslim Girl Name. The best Zaira name meaning is Eastern […]
- Ana is a Hindi originated Muslim Girl Name, it has multiple Islamic meaning, the best […]
- Mishal is a Persian originated Muslim Girl Name. The best Mishal name meaning is Light, […]
- Haram is a Indian originated Muslim Girl Name. Haram name meaning is Gentlewoman, Aristocrat, Countess, […]
- Ifra is a Persian originated Muslim Girl Name, it has multiple Islamic meaning, the best […]
- Find the full range of Ufone Packages here. All Ufone monthly, weekly and daily deals […]
- Uzma is a Arabic originated Muslim Girl Name. Uzma name meaning is A wise woman, […]
- Poonam is a Sindhi originates Muslim and hindu girl's name, it has multiple Islamic meaning, […]