A blood sugar test is a procedure that measures the amount of sugar, or glucose, in your blood. Your doctor may order this test to help diagnose diabetes.
Glucose is oxidised to gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide in the presence of glucose oxidase. Hydrogen peroxide further reacts with phenol and 4 – aminoantipyrine by the catalytic action of peroxidase to form a red coloured quinoneimine dye complex. Intensity of the colour formed is directly proportional to the amount of glucose present in the sample.
- Fasting Blood Sugar: 74 to 106 mg/dL (4.5 to 5.9 mmol/L)
- Random Blood Sugar: 80 to 120 mg/dl (4.4 to 6.6 mmol/L).
|L1 : Glucose Reagent||2 x 150 ml, 3 x 150 ml, 1 x 1000 ml|
|S : Glucose Standard (100 mg/di)||5.0 ml|
Reagent Storage I stability
Contents are stable at 2-8°C till the expiry mentioned on the labels. Upon storage the Glucose reagent may develop a slight pink colour. This does not affect the performance of the test.
Reagents are ready to use.
Serum, plasma, CSF. Glucose is reported to be stable in the sample for 7 days when stored at 2-8°C.
|Wavelength / filter||505 nm (Hg 546 nm)/ Green|
|Zero Setting||Reagent Blank|
|lncub. Temperature||37°C / R. T.|
|lncub. Time||10 min. / 30 min.|
|No. of read.|
Pipette into clean dry test tubes labelled as Blank (B), Standard (S), and Test (T):
|Additiion Sequence||B (Blank)||S (Standard)||T (Test)|
|Glucose Reagent (L1)||1000 μL||1000 μL||1000 μL|
|Distilled water||010 μL|
|Glucose Standard (S)||10 μL|
Mix well and incubate at 37°C for 10 min. or at R.T. (25°C) for 30 min. Measure the absorbance of the Standard (Abs.S), and Test Sample (Abs.T) against the Blank, within 60 Min.
This procedure is linear upto 500 mg/di. If values exceed this limit, dilute the serum with normal saline (NaCl 0.9%) and repeat the assay. Calculate the value using the proper dilution factor.
- One of the ways I protect paraffin slides is to dip in hot paraffin and […]
- Unstained paraffin sections offer very low contrast and therefore cannot be evaluated microscopically in routine […]
- The objective of this step is to cut 4–5 Mm-thick sections from paraffin blocks. This […]
- Once tissue samples are infiltrated by paraffin, they are removed from the cassettes and carefully […]
- After fixation, tissue samples need to be properly trimmed to reach the adequate size and […]
- A Amylase is secreted by the pancreas into the duodenum where it aids the catabolism […]
- Urine culture results should be interpreted in conjunction with clinical symptoms of urinary tract infection […]
- A urine culture is a test that can detect bacteria in your urine. This test […]