A standard operating procedure (SOP) is a set of written instructions that describe, in detail, how to perform a laboratory process or experiment safely and effectively. Laboratories must have written SOPs when the work in laboratory.
General Definition of SOPs:
A Set of Written Instructions, That documents a routine and Repetitive activity followed by Organization.
Laboratory SOPs Definition:
Document that include a set of Step-by-step Instructions instructions that laboratory staff should Meticulously follow when performing a procedure.
These SOPs are complies to Laboratory managment system to help lab staff to carry out complex routine operations.
Follow well written SOPs would ensure :
- Everyone should perform the test exactly the same way.
- So that the same result can be expected from all staff.
- Consistency enables people who use laboratory results to observe changes in a particular patient’s results over time.
- Follow written procedures, help laboratory staff produce more accurate results.
- They not relying on memory alone, so they will not forget steps in the process.
- Quality: Consistency (Reliable) + Accurate Results are primary goals of the laboratory and could be considered as the definition of quality in the laboratory.
SOPs inside the clinical laboratory :
A Number of SOPs could be written.
- Describing Laboratory Methods:
- Sample Receiving and Registration:
- Test Analysis:
- Safety Precautions:
- Master and Templates:
- Quality Assurance:
- Dealing with Complaints:
SOPs Road Map
- Sop Introduction:
- Writing Styles
- General Formates:
- Title Page
- SOPs Types:
- Master SOPs
- Administrative SOps
- Technical SOPs
- SOPs Process:
- Revision and Approval
- Frequency of Reviewing
- Document Controls
- Document Tracking and Archival
- How to apply a SOP system ?